Next Gen Rockers!
“I’m David Kindler’s plus one (Thanks David!)” With those words I entered into what I consider the best music festival I have ever attended. David is a friend and photographer extroardinaire (his photos below), plus fellow music geek. I know many paid big bucks to see the last dead shows at soldier field but they could of saved a lot of money if the goal was many great bands for a great price. Running for four days every summer around Independence Day. The American Music Festival at Fitzgerald’s in Berwyn has been running for 34 years and my only regret is missing the first 32. My thanks again to David Kindler (photographer extraordinaire) for introducing me to this great festival. On to my personal Highlights…
- School of Rock kids from across the world jamming their hearts out.
- Tom Cimm’s fantastic Cajun Food!
- Sarah Borges and Amy Black and the Muscle Shoals Revue. A great tribute to some of the greatest music ever made. Those women can flat out sing!
- Meeting Val (Thanks David Kindler)! of Val’s Halla Records in Oak Park. Your recommendation to see the the band below was spot on!
- What Four – Thank you Scott Ligon, Casey McDonough, Phil Angotti amd Matt Warren in the sidebar. The pure joy and harmonies were amazing!
- Luke Underhill. The young man of 19 has a great voice, solid songwriting and a bright future.
- Terrance Simein and the Zydeco Experience. He always seems to be the one having the most fun! His band brings it too!
- Cochombo!!! Best Sandwich Ever. Seriously.
- Marcia Ball crushing it as I returned after a short hiatus.
- Cold Beer starting at $3 a can!
- Water stations
- The bartenders, waitstaff, cooks, security, and anyone else working this event do an incredible job working very long hours on little Sleep. Job Well Done!
- The FitzGerald Family for bring this amazing event to the masses for the 34th year.
Maybe I’ll see you there next year…
Posted in cooking, gigs, live music, Music
Tagged american music festival, Amy Black, Casey McDonough, David T. Kindler, Fitzgerald’s Nightclub, Fitzgeralds, Luke Underhill, Marcia Ball, Matt Warren, Muscle Shoals, Phil Angotti, sarah borges, School of Rock, Scott Ligon, terrance simein, Val's Halla Records
Photo by David T. Kindler
It’s Jeff Bogle’s (Out With The Kids) fault. A couple of years ago he convinced me to attend the Grammys as I had access to tickets and he was looking to go. Many fine kindie artists had been nominated that year and so I attended the Grammy Pre Telecast show to which one of my colleagues would win (The Okee Dokee Brothers won, yea!). Then in the middle of the show I was introduced to the music of John Fulbright with a blistering performance of Gawd Above. I became a fan on the spot. This year my photographer friend David Kindler asked if I was interested in attending the American Music Festival at Fitzgeralds in Berwyn. Heck yeah! I had wanted to go for years and knowing John Fulbright was playing sealed the deal. What a great fest indeed. I prefer my concerts without jumbotrons and this one is just the right size. Here are the highlights for me attending on the last day of the festival…
Walked in on the Bellfuries (Austin, Texas) with the sterling vocals of Joe Simeone and the Rock-a-sense-ability of Schecky Seaver, Mike Molnar and Chris Sensat. I could listen to them all day!
The Split Squad – What do you get when you hook up a bunch of career rock and roll guys? FACE MELTING ROCK! I also got some vinyl of the band. Double Win!
COCHOMBO – You take a Cochon de Lait (Roast Pork Po’ Boy) + The best Andouille sausage I’ve ever had = Superior Sammich. The Cajun Combo so to speak. I ate two (one early, one late). Tom “Festival” Cimms and staff do a fine job indeed!
Girls, Guns and Glory with Sarah Borges – Amazing! Best surprise of the festival. Had no idea about either of these acts and was blown away. They have a 7″ Vinyl coming out out on July 20th and highly suggest you check it out!
John Fulbright – opened the show singing Acapella and quieted a full crowd. Amazing talent and songwriting ability. The inspiration for my coming to the festival and it was well deserved
Free Water available all over the festival.
$3.50 Miller Lite bottles
David Kindler – My favorite photographer. Never fails to make an introduction and really enjoys his work. His photos really capture the festival as seen here in this article. I was there because of his invite and will be back again next year.
Joe Ely and Reckless Kelly – Joe is an American treasure and sang a Townes Van Zandt song. You should catch him with Reckless Kelly who were down right smokin’. Magical closing song of the night for me with Not Fade Away.
The Sound Guys – Kept things rolling and sounding good with sooooo many bands.
Many thanks to the Fitzgerald family and staff for an outstanding job. This was my first year attending but definitely not my last. All fests should be run so well. Thank you for an outstanding day.
All Photos by David T. Kindler
Posted in family, live music, Music
Tagged american music festival, bellfuries, berwyn, country, David T. Kindler, Fitzgeralds, girls, guns and glory, Jeff Bogle, Joe Ely, Joe Simeone, john fulbright, live, music, Out with the Kids, reckless kelly, rock, sarah borges, summer, The Split Squad