“I’m David Kindler’s plus one (Thanks David!)” With those words I entered into what I consider the best music festival I have ever attended. David is a friend and photographer extroardinaire (his photos below), plus fellow music geek. I know many paid big bucks to see the last dead shows at soldier field but they could of saved a lot of money if the goal was many great bands for a great price. Running for four days every summer around Independence Day. The American Music Festival at Fitzgerald’s in Berwyn has been running for 34 years and my only regret is missing the first 32. My thanks again to David Kindler (photographer extraordinaire) for introducing me to this great festival. On to my personal Highlights…
- School of Rock kids from across the world jamming their hearts out.
- Tom Cimm’s fantastic Cajun Food!
- Sarah Borges and Amy Black and the Muscle Shoals Revue. A great tribute to some of the greatest music ever made. Those women can flat out sing!
- Meeting Val (Thanks David Kindler)! of Val’s Halla Records in Oak Park. Your recommendation to see the the band below was spot on!
- What Four – Thank you Scott Ligon, Casey McDonough, Phil Angotti amd Matt Warren in the sidebar. The pure joy and harmonies were amazing!
- Luke Underhill. The young man of 19 has a great voice, solid songwriting and a bright future.
- Terrance Simein and the Zydeco Experience. He always seems to be the one having the most fun! His band brings it too!
- Cochombo!!! Best Sandwich Ever. Seriously.
- Marcia Ball crushing it as I returned after a short hiatus.
- Cold Beer starting at $3 a can!
- Water stations
- The bartenders, waitstaff, cooks, security, and anyone else working this event do an incredible job working very long hours on little Sleep. Job Well Done!
- The FitzGerald Family for bring this amazing event to the masses for the 34th year.
Maybe I’ll see you there next year…